How to Use the Journals Feature
intakeQ gives you the ability to send forms to your clients that will act as journal entries. These forms can be set to automatically be sent out to clients at certain intervals, and would typically be used for things such as a food log, exercise log, therapy journal prompts, etc.
Enable the Journals Feature
To enabled this feature, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to "More > Settings > Features".
- Click the button "Enable Journals" under the Journals section of this page. You are now ready to use this feature, see below for more information about how it functions.
You are now ready to use this feature, see below for more information about how it functions.
Creating a Journal Form Template
In order to use the journals feature, you'll need to create a form template first. You create an intake questionnaire for this, journals will not function with treatment notes (consent forms can still be attached as needed). If you require any assistance in creating these types of forms, please see the following guide: How to Create Intake Questionnaires and/or Treatment Notes
Once you have the intake questionnaire created, and the journals feature enabled, there will be an added setting to use the form template with the journals feature.
- Navigate to "My Forms" and open the form template you'd like to use.
- From inside the form editor, click "... > Settings".
- You will see an option titled "Use this form as a journal entry", check the box beside this to bring up additional options.
- You are able to set "How many entries should clients submit?" as well as "How often should an entry be submitted?" from the dropdown menus.
Sending Journals to Your Clients
To send a journal template to a client for them to complete, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to "Lists > Clients" and select the client you'd like to send the journal to.
- Once the client profile is open, click on the green "+" icon in the timeline on the left of the page and select "Send Journal" (as show below).
- You will see the following screen which allows you to choose a journal template, the delivery method, how many entries the client should submit, and how often entries will be submitted.
Based on the example in the image above, your client will receive the journal form template via email each week for 3 weeks, which will allow them to track journal entries that you can view from their timeline.
Viewing Journal Entries
To view journal entries submitted by your clients, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to "Lists > Clients" and select the client you'd like to view journal entries for.
- Make sure that journal entries are set to display in the timeline. To the left of the "Timeline" title you'll see a menu icon, click that to get a dropdown (shown below) and be sure to check the "Journals" option so that journal entries will show up in the client timeline.
- You will now see any journal submissions in a dark blue color on the client timeline, labelled as "Journal". Click on any journal entry to view the contents of the entire journal, which will include all submissions that are a part of the journal session. In the title you'll see how many submissions have been made as part of any journal session (i.e. 1 out of 3 entries submitted), and each will be labelled so you know which entry it is (i.e. Entry 1, as shown in the image below).
Journal Entries in the Secure Client Portal
If you are a practiceQ subscriber, you can utilize the secure client portal to allow your clients to submit journal entries, the steps to using this are noted below:
- First, you'll want to ensure that journal entries are enabled in the secure client portal. Click on the speech bubble icon next to "My Forms" in the main menu.
- Now on the initial secure client portal screen, click the "Settings" button in the top right corner and navigate to the "Portal Features" tab.
- Check the option that says "Allow clients to view and submit journal entries via my portal".
- Now your clients will be able to access their journal entries and complete them directly from your secure client portal (sample shown below).
Re-sending Journal Entries
To re-send a journal entry, you will need to find the specific form from the "Lists > Intakes" screen. Once you've located the form, click "View" to open it, then on the right-side click "More > Resend Intake" to re-send that specific journal entry to the client.
Deactivating a Journal
If you'd like to stop a series of journal forms from sending to the client, simply open it in the timeline of the client and click "More > Deactivate".